In 1914, (1913-1914 Rotary year) the Rotary Club of Nashville was chartered as the first in Tennessee. This was only slightly less than nine years after Paul Harris founded Rotary in Chicago.
The Rotary Clubs of Memphis and Chattanooga were the next organized, both clubs being chartered after Nashville in 1914. The Rotary Club of Knoxville was chartered in 1915 following a trade visit to that city by a group of businessmen from Louisville, Kentucky, one of them a Rotarian. The Rotary Club of Jackson, chartered in August 1916, was the fifth Rotary club chartered in Tennessee.
The area which comprises District 6760 was defined (July 1, 1950) by Rotary International as follows: TENNESSEE, that portion west of western boundaries of the counties of MACON, TROUSDALE, WILSON, CANNON, COFFEE, BEDFORD, and LINCOLN except SHELBY COUNTY.
This geographical area has been a part of many Rotary districts over the years, the areas of the districts being contracted as Rotary grew and grew. Following are some of the districts of which the present 6760 area was once a part:
1915 – District 6: Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas.
1918 – District 13: Kentucky and Tennessee.
1922 – District 23: Kentucky, Tennessee (except Shelby County) and Virginia (that portion west of the eastern boundaries of the counties of Tazewell, Smyth and Washington).
1925 – District 52: Tennessee (except Shelby County) and Virginia (that portion west of the eastern boundaries of the counties of Tazewell, Smyth, and Washington).
1937 – District 163: Tennessee (except Shelby County) and that particular portion east of the western boundaries of the counties of Hancock, Hawkins, and Greene).
1949 – District 236: Tennessee, that portion west of the western boundaries of the counties of Sullivan and Greene, except Shelby County.
1950 – District 236: Tennessee, that portion west of the western boundaries of Macon, Trousdale, Wilson, Cannon, Coffee, Bedford and Lincoln.
1957 – District 676: Boundaries same as for District 236 but district number changed.
1991 – District 6760: Boundaries same as for the District 676 but district number changed.
District 6760 has 60 clubs and approximately 3300 members.